Thursday, March 22, 2012

Turn the Key and Keep Driving Towards Your Dreams

I live in an urban neighborhood where cars line the streets, and people vie for parking spots in front of their homes. The other day while driving home from the grocery store with one of my daughters I pointed to our house from a block away. I asked her if it looked like there were any parking places in front of our house. She said no. I told her to keep watching. 


We approached our house and pulled into a more than ample parking spot. I asked her if she noticed anything and she replied, "Yes! When we were far away it looked like all the parking spots were taken. As we got closer it looked like there was a really small spot. And then  as we pulled up to the house I saw that there was enough room for at least two cars." I smiled and explained how perspective changes with proximity. 


For a long, long time I have not bothered to dream because, as I have recently discovered, I had a subconscious belief that dreams are not actually attainable, and venturing to dream sets me up for disappointment. I have illogically believed that success was something that happened to people by luck, not something that was achieved through diligence and tenacity.


Some of the main reasons this has been believable to me for a vast majority of my life have to do with perspective. Since I rarely allowed myself uninhibited dream play, I had nothing to gather information about. I told myself I was allowing the universe to guide me. What was really going on was that while I had gotten into the car, I was not turning the ignition key. Since I was not going anywhere, my perspective was limited. 


Not allowing one's self to dream is like getting into a car without turning the key. Without starting the car you will never arrive anywhere new. Every once in a while I would venture to dream, but I saw the goal from such a great distance that I was sure there was no way that I could fit into that dream spot (I told myself I didn't have the education, brains, creativity, talent, organizations skills, blah, blah, blah...)–In twelve step programs this type of thinking is called contempt prior to investigation. 


On the other hand, allowing one's self the freedom to dream is like turning the key and watching as a desire to reach a destination ignites. Departing, you have a purpose in mind. As you move towards your dream and catch a glimpse of your destination, anxiety may arise because it may look as if there are few or no spots available for you–remember this is a limited perspective and KEEP GOING! As you get closer to your goal/dream more spaces for your talents will inevitably open. Just as cars continuously pull in and out of parking spots, venues, job opportunities, workshops, and exhibit spaces continuously become available. 


While dreams are internal guides from the universe, they are not meant to be set in stone. Sometimes as you approach your "ideal" parking spot you may realize that space is not as perfect as you had once thought–perhaps there is a broken bottle there, or bees swarming over a spilled soda. Similarly, as you begin to approach the realization of your dream you may sense that something slightly different or better is calling. Heed that inspiration. While dreams are a compass for your heart's desire, they are not necessarily meant to be rigid assigned parking spots.  


Marvelous adventures are awaiting us! 


Turn the ignition key and begin dreaming with wild abandonment! 


Start driving towards your dreams and watch as your perspective shifts. 


If you sense discouragement setting in, remember that as you inch closer to your destination more will be revealed. 


Keep chugging on and have faith.


I have begun driving towards my dreams. I hope to see you on that road too. If I do, I will be sure to honk and wave! XO


"To the person who does not know where he wants to go there is no favorable wind." ~Seneca


"A philosophy of life: I'm an adventurer, looking for treasure."  ~Paulo Coelho from The Alchemist


"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours" ~Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment