Saturday, April 21, 2012

Journey Like A Sound Wave

Last weekend, I climbed 20 ft up  a rope ladder in the middle of a man's living room. Seriously, I did! This was quite a feat for me, as I have a fear of heights. I had the opportunity to watch each of my children attempt the climb before I did, and watching them I was able to give them all sorts of advice. As I began my ascent I was reminded to take my own advice... and I did.


The trick was that I kept my eyes on my destination and I didn't look back (or down rather). In my mind I was simply climbing up. I did not give myself the opportunity to think I was moving further away from the earth. Rung by rung I saw the platform at the top growing closer. Climbing over the edge I  began to feel fear trying to steal my concentration, but I kept on, and pulled myself over. I was so proud of myself! And I learned a practical lesson: not to hesitate. 
My son and I at the top.


In a microsecond of hesitation doubt and fear can sneak in and sabotage a journey. Moving consistently forward, without looking back in doubt, allows windows of new discoveries to open. It allows life to sparkle a bit brighter, and allows one to feel more alive. 


I awoke this morning to the chimes on my porch and thought: sound waves are so lovely; we are meant to be like that. Journeying forward from their source, sonorous waves blossom, blessing the world with their resonance. They do not look back, nor hesitate in any way. They gracefully follow the path they create in each moment.  


"Grace is the absence of everything that indicates pain or difficulty, hesitation or incongruity." William Hazlitt


"Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up. This is the trick. This is what all these teachers and philosophers who really counted, who really touched the alchemical gold, this is what they understood. This is the shamanic dance in the waterfall. This is how magic is done. By hurling yourself into the abyss and discovering its a feather bed." ~Terence McKenna





No comments:

Post a Comment