Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Your Attention Propels You

The ability to harness my attention is one of my most valuable tools. Thoughts flow consciously and unconsciously throughout my mind daily, but where I choose to linger and focus determines the quality of my life, as well as the overall direction I will follow.

The yogic concept of maintaining a drishti, or gazing point,  I find especially interesting because it emphasizes the value of our attention. Each pose in yoga has a specific drishti which aids one in maintaining alignment, balance, and concentration, as well as functioning as a directional goal.Yoga instructors emphasize the importance of the softened focus of the drishti as aiding one in moving deeper into a pose saying, "where your eyes go, your body will follow." The same is true with our thoughts and actions: the thoughts and actions that get our attention propel us in a certain direction. For example, if our attention is focused on exercising and eating healthy, then our bodies get fit; if we give our attention to thoughts of gratitude, we become joyful, optimistic people. 

Like strengthening any new muscle or practice, it takes consciousness and effort to develop attention. Without developing this ability, unconscious thoughts and actions can snag us, sabotaging our success in the world and our lives. By success I do not simply mean wealth or prestige, but also (and more importantly) states of mind like optimism, confidence, and pleasure. 

Harnessing my attention, I can consciously direct my mind and actions towards thoughts that empower my life and propel me forward towards my goals. That does not mean that I never feel sad, angry, or resentful. Nor does it mean that I never eat candy, or yell at the car in front of me while I am driving. What it does mean is that I can feel whatever feelings I am feeling, and allow them to move through my experience. Instead of remaining stuck there for days, weeks, or months, I can re-direct my thoughts or actions, and choose to turn my attention towards gratitudes, blessings, positive affirmations, healthy foods, and compassion. 

I, in no way mean to trivialize the difficulty of turning away from certain thoughts and actions. I completely understand that some thoughts and actions have monopolized our attention for significant portions of our lives, and re-directing our attention away from these patterns can be literally painful. 

In order to move my attention towards more beneficial thoughts, I must first become aware of those internal weeds rooted in my experience. I take in a deep breath as I muster the courage to look within. What I see may not be pretty. What is most important is that we are honest with ourselves. If we find a negative habit or thought pattern we are especially resistant to releasing, even though we know it is not facilitating our highest and best selves, we may need to explore further.

When exploring these resistant patterns it may be helpful to ask why you are resistant to releasing these thoughts or actions. What is the "payoff?" Do these thought patterns feed self-pity? Does over-indulging in food or alcohol allow you to avoid feelings of guilt or anxiety? Do you get to be the victim? Do other people feel sorry for you? Do you get to avoid making decisions? Do not allow shame to prevent you from answering these questions honestly. 

There is no need to feel shame. We are all human, and have all indulged in thoughts and actions that have not served us. And if we are honest, we have all done so for reasons that may be less than noble. By moving through the truth, we can choose to give our attention to more useful thoughts and actions. Consider for a moment the consequences of moving one's attention away from the action of eating greasy, fast foods every day to the action of eating fresh, whole fruits and vegetables: HEALTH! Now consider the implications of moving away from thoughts of a brutal and cruel world, to an infinitely loving and powerful universe that longs to answer our every prayer... our consciousness shifts; veils drop; we develop a softer, more gentler orientation to the world and its inhabitants: LOVE BLOOMS!  

When the desire to be free and empowered becomes stronger than the desire to protect our pride, then we will do whatever it takes, including getting honest with ourselves, to tear down the veils that prevent us from our highest and best selves. By assessing where our attention is being spent, we can gain the ability to re-direct the course of our thoughts and our lives, sailing into the wonders of a beautiful and abundant new day. 

"When I fully enter time's swift current, enter into the current moment with the weight of all my attention, I slow the torrent with the weight of me all here." ~Ann Voskamp from One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

"Temperamentally anxious people can have a hard time staying motivated, period, because their intense focus on their worries distracts them from their goals." ~Winifred Gallagher from Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life

"To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work." ~Mary Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment